Energy Food Water Environment


Tri-Gen-Zero™ is more than a technical concept for producing clean energy, it is an ideal borne from an ancient indigenous philosophy that ties all of us to the land, our environment and our inherent responsibility for keeping the planet safe, clean and habitable for future generations.

“Tri-generation for Multi-generations”, if you will. It is also a concept that allows us to practice sustainable development without having to make compromises to our broader objective of environmental sustainability.

If we can produce electricity without CO2 emissions, something that the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station has been able to accomplish for decades, should we not try to continue that accomplishment for decades more if we can? With Tri-Gen-Zero™ it is possible to convert inexpensive and plentiful natural gas into electricity and still be CO2 free.

The “Zero” in Tri-Gen-Zero™ comes from taking the CO2 produced in the gas turbine down to zero percent CO2 emissions.

This is accomplished by employing modern, commercially-available, scrubbing technologies, together with proven carbon capture and sequestration practices utilizing state-of-the-art vertical farming (multi-level greenhouses) and algae farms. The scrubbers can remove 90% of the CO2 and the greenhouse operation and algae farm can sequester the remaining 10% through the natural process of photosynthesis.

How does Tri-Gen-Zero™ Work?

  1. We install a highly efficient combined cycle natural gas power plant, utilizing a gas turbine and generator to produce electricity. Natural gas is combusted directly at the inlet to gas turbine, similar to that of a jet engine, and the turbine’s rotating shaft is connected to a generator to produce electricity.

  2. We install a Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) system to capture the heat from the exhaust gases exiting the gas turbine to produce steam to drive a conventional steam turbine.

  3. We install a heat exchanger which also acts as a compressor to convert the steam back into a liquid to be circulated through the HRSG. The cooling water used in the condenser absorbs/exchanges the heat from the condenser. The result is hot water that is then circulated to the greenhouse operation, the on-site water distillation plant and the anaerobic digesters used to process organic waste from the greenhouse operation.

The results of combining all of these key components together are truly remarkable.

  • A highly efficient power plant which can achieve up to 61% efficiency (NG to electric efficiency);

  • A highly efficient and highly profitable, self-sustaining, organic produce growing operation; and

  • Zero CO2 emissions.